Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

It's Your Kid, Not a Gerbil by Kevin Leman

It’s Your Kid Not a Gerbil

Kevin Leman

Tyndale Books

Do you feel like you don’t ever stop? This new book by Kevin Lehman is a witty and informative book about putting your family first and getting out of the rat race we sometimes find ourselves addicted to. In this book, Leman helps us to see what is important in raising our children….creating family time, putting our children’s true needs into perspective, and more. Also, he addresses some of the myths that we parents bite onto. Myths such as - busy is good? And - my child can do anything. Often, as a mom of a 9,7,&5 year olds, I often feel pressured by other people’s expectations to do everything, to believe those myths, and now I can rest assured that I’m on the right track or can get to it.

At various times, I laughed aloud, amused at Mr. Leman’s writing style. It made it easier to chew on the ideas presented. He addresses each point simply and accurately. At the end of each chapter, he gives brief tips to help his readers put ideas into practice. When necessary, he addresses single parents with tact and care.

This book isn’t just for parents who are on the activity wheel, but it’s truly for all parents who want the best for their families and kids. It’s a book I would recommend to all my friends, gerbils or no, and hope that they will take his advice to heart.

This book was provided by Tyndale as a part of their blogger’s network. . I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my very own. I am disclosing this according to the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255.


ATTENTION!  FORTHOSE OF YOU INTERESTED IN OBTAINING A FREE COPY OF THIS BOOK, I HAVE A GIFT CERTIFICATE GOOD FOR ONE COPY AT YOUR LOCAL CHRISTIAN BOOK STORE!  TO ENJTER, WRITE A COMMENT ON THIS POST ALONG WITH CONTACT INFO IF I DON'T KNOW YOU AND YOU  WILL BE ENTERED INTO OUR DRAWING ON SEPT 5TH!

1 comment:

  1. While I usually feel comfortable purchasing any of Dr. Leman's books, I wanted to see what you had to say about it before I did.

    I'm encouraged that he gives you ideas how to put his ideas into practice rather than, "You're doing it wrong, go figure it out!"

    As a newly single parent of a 9 yr old, I try to limit her to one "thing" during the school year. However I do feel pressure sometimes that I'm somehow missing the window of opportunity if she hasn't tried soccer yet, or softball. No piano lessons and she's nine? Oh, she'll never play now. what about dance? Cheerleading? (Please NO cheerleading!!) Volleyball, basketball, singing, chess, OMG!!!!

    I'm better now. Enjoyed your review. Would enjoy a copy of the book to use in our parenting or moms group at work(church). Best of luck.

    Patty Leonard
    pleonard@mdpc.org

    ReplyDelete