Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Journey to Christmas, DVD



Journey To Christmas, DVD

4 Session Holy Land Study Experience

Tricord Media

Tyndale Entertainment



Five diverse people take a journey to the Holy Land for the first time to discover the true meaning of Christmas. These five people are guided by a local scholar to search throughout the Holy Land for the answer to this question from a personal point of view. This DVD series is presented in a reality show format following an artist, a musician/singer, a talk show personality, an agnostic, and a First Nations (Native American) person as they pursue the reality of the first Christmas. It also features commentaries by Biblical scholars to clarify some elements. The producers also provide study guides and marketing materials in PDF format on one of the DVDs.

The DVD’s are beautifully shot, utilizing great composition and color. I applaud the cinematography. It made me want to return to Israel to view and photograph the land again. The reality show format brings a nice twist to the DVD that helps to draw you into how the different people view and experience the culture and religious aspects of the land of Israel. Each person’s struggle or acceptance mirrors that of many and adds interest . I liked how they had the participants ask questions of each other and themselves, and I often found myself rooting for Drew, the talk show host. I could identify with his weariness of seeing so much religiosity. I could identify with my experience in which I found myself tired of the rituals and icons plastered everywhere marring the simplicity of the site. I think many people will identify with the participants experiences and feelings.

The DVD attempts to address the idea of finding the true meaning of Christmas. I found purpose more adequately expressed through the study guides than directly in the video. The video shows how the participants were exposed to the reality of how the first Christmas would have occurred but it doesn’t address why Jesus came. I think it assumes that we know why he came, and therefore would be geared to an audience that already know the why but not the reality of the circumstances.

Overall, I really enjoyed watching the videos. Since I have had the opportunity to visit Israel , I could understand some of their experiences an I think it will give people a great peek into the realities of the first Christmas. It is a video series that I willingly recommend to churches and individuals.

This DVD was provided by Tyndale. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my very own. I am disclosing this according to the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment