Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Sweeter than Birdsong by Rosslyn Elliott


Sweeter Than Birdsong
Rosslyn Elliott
The Saddlers Legacy
Thomas Nelson Publishers
Step back in time to the days prior to the civil war and step into the world of Kate Winter. Her home life is dysfunctional, she has difficulty speaking in public, and she wants to find an escape. Amidst all this, she finds herself in a position to escape home, but she inadvertently finds herself in the midst of the rescue a slave woman and her child. This event opens her eyes to a world of struggle outside of her own, and of a developing passion - for a man and a cause.
Elliott has written an excellent book. It is the second in a series that is inspired by the life of a real family in American history. She mixes fiction with history to create an inspirational and engaging story. I enjoyed following Kate on her adventure of freeing the slave, Nellie and her family...as well as the struggle with love, family, and slavery. I read the book quickly, and I could read it over and over....and that is a sign of a book that I love. I hope to be able to read he first book in the series and future installments. Although this is a book in a series, it stands on its own.

I am not sure what more installments will bring, but I would like to have had more development with different story lines within book. As far as the cover, I would not have cut off the man playing the violin:) But overall, I would highly recommend this book to all inspirational and historical fans out there....

This book was received through Thomas Nelsons' Booksneeze.com blogger program. I was not required to write a positive review, and the opinions expressed herein are my own.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Brooke! I really appreciate your review and I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete