Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck



The Wedding Dress
Rachel Hauck
Thomas Nelson


One dress...Four Women...One hundred years. Put those elements together and you have the basis for an engaging romantic read. Charlotte, the owner of a boutique wedding dress shop, finds herself bidding on an old weathered trunk at a charity auction. In that old trunk, and in the midst of relationship turmoil...., Charlotte finds a wedding dress... beautiful and unique....
Charlotte's story is counterpointed by Emily's story from 1912. Emily, who against her mother's wishes. engages a woman to make her dream dress... drawn by unknown forces... drawn by an independent spirit....
As Charlotte, discovers the three other women who wore this dress... she comes to turns with her own story. Ms. Hauck weaves a story that is enjoyable and a good afternoon's read. I like the two stories that the book revolved around... and the two mini stories of two of the dress's owners. They are engaging and keep you wondering.
I also liked how the author wrote a few sections from the groom's/man's viewpoint. All too often I think the male perspective is underdeveloped in many books of this genre, and they would be great to filling out a lot of stories.
I think the only thing in the story that I didn't care for was the underdeveloped character, the man in purple. I understood what or who Ms. Hauck was creating him to be, but I thought it needed to be developed more.
In regards to Ms. Hauck's notes at the end that the gospel is like a wedding dress that fits each who accepts it. I don't think it is an appropriate analogy. We are conforming to His image (sanctification)....the gospel isn't like a wedding dress that fits to each one who accepts it. It is given to each who accepts it, but we conform to it, not it to us.
Overall, I think every fan of this genre will love this book. I love the idea behind it, and enjoyed her engaging writing.

I received this book through Thomas' Nelson's booksneeze.com bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review, and the opinions in this review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment