Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dreams and Visions by Tom Doyle



Dreams and Visions

Is Jesus Awakening the Muslim World?

By Tom Doyle, with Greg Webster
Published by Thomas Nelson



In Dreams and Visions, Tom Doyle, a missionary to the middle east and Asia, compiles various stories of dreams and visions of Jesus, Isa, by Muslim people throughout the region. The book is categorized into countries where the stories originate, and includes information about the region and culture that pertain to the subject at hand. You travel from Egypt to Syria to Saudi Arabia, Jordan and other places. The book is well organized and written engagingly.


The question for me though, is not whether to book is well written, but does it bear the truth of God's Word. When approaching the idea of dreams and visions, I'm skeptical, as the author said he was at first. When I read the Bible in verses such as : 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21, Matthew 24:26, Matthew 24:26, Luke 16:29, John 14:25-26, John 16:7-11, John 16:14, Matthew 24:5, Hebrews 1:1-2, 2 Corinthians 11:4, 2 Corinthians 11:14-15, my skepticism isn't diminished but increased; I have more questions and doubts after comparing it the the Bible.


I don't believe that I can rely on personal experiences to believe that Jesus is revealing Himself to Muslims or any other people group other than through His Word and the working of the Holy Spirit.


I do believe that God can use these experiences, whoever originates them, to bring people to Him, because as Joseph said in Genesis 50:20

But Joseph said to them, “Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? 20 As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.


In this book, there are a lot of good facts and pictures of Islam that are valuable for Christians to know and understand. I recommend reading it with a Bible in hand, reading the Bible in its historical and revelational context, and to remember not to set up personal experience above the Word of God.


I received this e-book from Thomas' Nelson's  booksneeze.com bloggers program.  This review is my own opinions

No comments:

Post a Comment