Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Flag

My father spent the mid 60's serving in the USMC in Vietnam.  He was exposed to Agent Orange.  He described it as diesel fuel on the foliage.  I guess they had mixed the chemical with diesel fuel to spay on the plants to kill them, so that our troops could get into the thick jungle. Agent Orange was and is a carcinogenic.  In 1982, my father was diagnosed with colon cancer.  He was 36.  This was after several other problems that I was too young to remember.  Three and a half years later, he died of respiratory failure due to the massive quantities of tumors engulfing his abdominal area.  I was 13.
Hence to date, my children and his other grandchildren, never got to know him. 
One of the few things that I have left of him is the flag that  lay on his casket.  My sister has wanted the flag, so before I send it her way, I thought that I would take portraits of my children holding or hugging the flag.  I still have one more child to take portraits with the flag before it finds a new home.
 
These portraits will always hold a special place in my heart.
 
My youngest son directly below, has had a kidney transplant, and so I had his shirt off to show his scars with grandpa's flag. 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment