Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Born of Persuasion by Jessica Dotta


Born of Persuasion
Price of Privilege Trilogy
by Jessica Dotta
Tyndale Publishers




Step back into 1838 and into the life of 17 year old Julia Elliston. Julia is an orphan left under the authority of an unknown guardian who wants to ship her off to Scotland. Before that happens, she is allowed the opportunity to visit an old friend of hers and her mother's. At that time she hopes to save herself from what appears to be drudgery of being a servant. But Julia finds herself caught up in treachery, deception, and bad choices.

I sat and read this book in one evening. It was well written, the characters were interesting and the plot is engaging. Although, I really didn't find it hard to guess what would happen, what the characters' real motivations were, or the basic plot. Yet there were a few things did keep me guessing.

I do have to admit that the main character, Julia, is not extremely smart, but is a bit foolish. I would say that she  acts  like a modern 17 year old girl that doesn't understand the nature of people. I do wish she was a smarter character.

This book is the first in a trilogy, and I look forward to reading the next installments. On the other hand, looking at it from a Christian point-of-view, I hope to see more of the Christian faith developed. The character of Julia is basically an atheist, for that was how she was brought up. I would like to see more hints of how other characters' faiths will develop and influence her. I expect that in the next two books in the series I will be satisfied. I think many will find it an intriguing read. The discussion questions at the end of the book do help to give you a peek into things the author has written, that you might miss reading it.

Overall, I would recommend this book to an older reader because there is some material that is a little too romantic for younger readers.



I received this book from the author in return for a review.  All opinions are my own....

No comments:

Post a Comment