Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Peace on Earth: A Christmas Collection by Mary Englebreit


Peace on Earth: A Christmas Collection

Mary Englebreit

Zonderkidz

Sit down and open a beautifully illustrated picture book that takes you into a compilation of Christmas songs, poems, and scripture. Mary Engelbreit's illustrations are tied to a particular written piece, such as the old hymn “Angels We have Heard on High and a poem by Cecil Frances Alexander called “All Things Bright and Beautiful”. The are nativity pictures, angel pictures, children and animals and more which have her unique signature style
One of my favorite pieces in the book is the two page spread called “Friendly Beasts” that shows a checkerboard of the poem and illustration. My least favorite would be the four page spread called “Another Boy” because it states in it “the festival of all children everywhere.” Christmas is about Christ and what He did for those children everywhere, and it seems a little lost on this story.
One other note, I'm not too fond of Madonna and child illustrations where Mary is seen with a halo or crown (queen of heaven imagery). I deviate theologically from Catholicism on many points, and this is one. I do not teach my children anything more than that Mary was blessed to be chosen to be Jesus earthly mom. Although these images abound in the book, most of the book keeps focused on Christmas and the baby that was born, and I will share it with my children.
Ultimately the story of Christmas is about Christ and His love for us. It looks forward to the cross and the resurrection. Simply, we sinned against God (for the wages of sin is death), God became a man, died on the cross in our place (those who place their faith in him, by grace alone through faith alone), and rose again. Christmas is about the gospel.


I received this book from the publisher.  I was not required to write a positive review.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment