Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2014

A Baby Blanket

My sister-in-law is expecting a second daughter, and so I got inspired to weave a lightweight baby blanket.  It is primarily acrylic for ease of washing, but it does have a third of angora, alpaca, and wool  fibers.  It's rustic, but I love it, and wish I had made one to keep for photography.

Here is the warp.  It had a lot of wool fiber mixed in and each yarn was constantly catching its neighbor.  It was strong enough for the warp but that catchiness wasn't too pleasant.

 
I used a purple warp, and purple, variegated and cream yard for the weft.



 
I did have some booboos in it, but I decided not to go back and fix them, but instead leave them for a more rustic look. 

4 comments:

  1. Brooke, this baby blanket is beautiful. Would you consider making a selling a blanket? I'm thinking more like a 'throw' that you'd put on a couch. Do you think you could do that and how much would you charge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy, I could do a throw, it would have to be two pieces sewn or crocheted together to get it wide enough as my loom is 36" wide. The cost would depend on the yarn. Acrylics are cheapest and washable, then there are natural fibers and those vary. Email me at brookerene@hotmail.com with what you would prefer for yarn, and then I could tell you how much it would cost!

      Delete
  2. P.S. I like the boo-boos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they added to it or I would have gone back and rewoven them There are so many techniques to use for different looks!

      Delete