Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Willie's Redneck Time Machine by John Luke Robertson

Willie's Redneck Time Machine
by John Luke Robertson
with Travis Thrasher
Tyndale Publishing


You are Willie Robertson, and you have to choose your adventure.  As someone who has never watched an episode of Duck Dynasty but was exposed through the various marketing efforts of the TV world, I was interested in reading this book.  As a kid, I liked the choose your own adventures to some degree, and now as a parent, would I want my children to read them?  First, I liked the cover... Yes I know, but... I live on a cattle ranch and we have a "time machine free one" by one of the old outbuildings.  I'm glad it is no longer put into use!    One the few occasions that I have had the opportunity to use one, made me appreciate modern convenience.  So, that piqued my interest in the book.  It sounded funny, and overall the book had some funny parts.  There was one particular storyline that I enjoyed because, I have to confess, I graduated high school in 1990, and I'll leave it at that.  There are a few different storylines to travel through, some better than others. 

So how was the book?  Overall there were some funny storylines that kids will like.  I would have liked fewer storylines and a little more development on the better lines.  I thought a few ended too abruptly for my taste.  As far as the writing, it was a little easy reading for  the higher end of the age range it is geared to (8-12?). 

Would I let my kids read it?  Yes, I think it's clean and would provide some entertainment for them.  On the other had, I would like to have seen a little more of the Robertson's faith embedded into it.  It is a great opportunity to introduce children to Biblical truth.

Overall, I think it is a good book for kids.  They will enjoy it.

I received this book from the publisher, and all opinions are my own.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment