Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Patriots, Redcoats and Spies by Robert J. and Robert A. Skead

Patriots, Redcoats and Spies
by Robert J. and Robert A. Skead
Zondervan Kids

Take the American Revolutionary war and throw in a set of twin brothers on a mission to take a message to George Washington, and you have a story for the tween years that is engaging.  When Lamberton Clark is shot, he has to pass on his important mission to his twin 14 year old sons, John and Ambrose.  The two take off on an adventure of a lifetime full of danger, trickery and, of course, George Washington.
I decided to read this to my 12, 10 and 8 year old children during our nightly read aloud, and we followed the journey of these two brothers.  We enjoyed the story, and we wondered what would come next.  Would the brothers actually get started?  What was going to happen regarding the horses?  What about the man who shot their dad?
We thoroughly enjoyed the story, and I had only one or two issues with it.  I can't imagine 14 year old  boys using the phrased "screw this up" during that era.  I also thought the little tidbits about the girl they both liked were unnecessary. 
Overall, I think it a good book for the age group it is directed to, although I think it could have been developed more, and maybe they will find themselves in future adventures. 



This book was provided by the publisher.  All opinions are my own, and I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment